Report of 2011 Annual Meeting
First Step Towards Name Change is Among Many Highlights of Annual Meeting
The Association’s September 9, 2011 Annual General Meeting convened at 12:19 PM in the Solano Room of the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel during the Lavender Law Conference. Outgoing President Judge Paul Feinman (NY) presided over a meeting structured by a robust agenda. Here’s a quick synopsis of what occurred.
- Authorization was given for the necessary steps to be taken to amend the Association’s charter and bylaws to give effect to the unanimous vote to change the Association’s name to the International Association of LGBT Judges.
- Guest D’Arcy Kemnitz, Executive Director, National LGBT Bar Association, spoke of the continued partnership between her organization and our Association. Among other things, she encouraged greater participation by members of the Association as panelists and moderators for the Lavender Law Conference programs.
- Guest Samir Luther, Director, Presidential Appointments Project, Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund and Leadership Institute, updated the Association on the assistance available through the Presidential Appointments Project for LGBT judges for positions available by Presidential appointment. He invited the Association to identify to the Project members and other LGBT judges who would be good candidates for appointment.
- Guest Todd Brower, Judicial Training Consultant, the Williams Institute, updated the Association on programs that the Institute has developed with the assistance of our members. He also emphasized that the Institute stands ready to travel anywhere, within and outside the United States, to develop and assist in the development of programs and their presentation, all focused on the Judiciary and LGBT issues.
- D. Zeke Zeidler (CA) was elected to succeed Judge Feinman as President
- Authorization was given to present to the National LGBT Bar Association a proposal for a project partnering our Association, the National LGBT Bar Association and its Law School Division for appearances before local lawyer groups, law students and LGBT student associations at colleges and high school.
- The 2012 Annual General Meeting will occur at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C. on August 24 or 25 during the course of the Lavender Law Conference.
- Kudos was given to Judge Feinman for his fine service for three years as President.
The Annual General Meeting was preceded by a well-attended Thursday evening reception hosted by Judge Zeidler and his husband Jay Kohorn for members, spouses and partners. It was followed by the Association’s Annual Dinner Friday evening at the Larchmont Grill in Los Angeles.